The original school, a classic example of the first Free Schools that enshrined the rights of all children to a free education, was built in 1852, and replaced the Dame School in the churchyard. After the school eventually closed in 1959, the building was acquired as a community hall using money raised by selling The Institute (now Prospect Cottage) and the site next to the Three Horseshoes on which stood the old wooden village hall.
The original plan and related drawings and paperwork are held at the Lambeth Palace Library. The land on which the Village Hall stands was bestowed upon the village as a gift in the 1850s by a famous local botanist and landowner - Philip Barker-Webb.
Part of the Hall (along with part of the church) was designed by a famous local architect - J W Penfold, who also designed the original hexagonal red postbox. His 1868 plans for the Village Hall are held at Woking History Centre.
Education continues to play an important part in the life of the building, with our successful nursery school, Butterflies, running throughout the week.